The position not only requires high expertise in the relevant research area but must be responsible for actively conducting strategic R&D with a mid- to long-term perspective.
The position may also be involved in the overall planning of strategic research plans and in the operations management of the institute.
Overview and Requirements
Number of Positions
A total of about 10 positions will be filled for permanent "Researcher" and "Technical Researcher" positions, and "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" positions altogether.
- Headquarters (Koganei, Tokyo)
- Universal Communication Research Institute (Seika-cho, Soraku-gun, Kyoto)
- Advanced ICT Research Institute (Kobe, Hyogo)
- Center for Information and Neural Networks (Suita, Osaka)
- Wireless Networks Research Center (Yokosuka, Kanagawa)
- Hokuriku StarBED Technology Center (Noumi, Ishikawa)
Learn more about other Research Centers of NICT
- The applicant in principle, must be able to start the position as of April 1st, 2021.
- The applicant can be of any nationality (interviews will be conducted either in Japanese or English).
- The applicant must have a master's or doctor's degree as of April 1st, 2021.
Date of Employment
April 1st, 2021 (in principle)
- The position may involve planning, and other internal work that may not be directly related to research (research management and assistant work).
- Fixed-term secondments to governmental institutions, public interest corporations, and private companies may occur.
- Relocations to other Research Centers (domestic or abroad) may occur.
Focused Areas of Research
Compensation and Benefits
This is a permanent "Researcher" position; no employment term will be appointed. (You will not be regarded as a government official and the retirement age is 60.)
Basic Monthly Salary 288,000JPY (Starting salary for master graduates with researcher adjustment allowance and labor adjustments included)
Basic Monthly Salary 350,000JPY (Starting salary for doctor graduates with researcher adjustment allowance and labor adjustments included)
The following allowances will be permitted in addition to the above:
- Dependent allowance…… Permitted to employees with dependent family members; e.g., 10,000JPY/month per child, etc.
- Housing allowance…… A maximum of 28,000JPY/month is permitted to employees with rented accommodation.
- Commuting allowance…… A maximum of 55,000JPY/month for commuting costs will be permitted; e.g., the monthly commuter pass fee for public transportation.
- End-of-term allowance (Bonus)…… A bonus equivalent to about 4.5 months of salary will be permitted (based on the FY2019 data).
In addition, qualification allowances, special researcher allowances, and special service allowances may be permitted for those that apply.
Work Schedule, etc.
- Full-time, 5 days (average of 37.5 hours) a week. A 'flextime' labor system is applied in principle.
- Annual Paid Leave
15 days/year will be granted for the first year of employment, e.g., through April 1st-December 31st for those employed on April 1st, and 20 days/year will be granted for the second year and onwards.
- Other special paid leave can be granted.
- Childcare and nursing care leave are also granted.
- Health insurance: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Mutual Aid Association Insurance
- Pension: Welfare pension
- Labor insurance: Unemployment insurance and industrial accident compensation insurance
- While having sufficient expertise in the relevant field of research will be the key factor in the selection process, the candidates' willingness to actively take part in management affairs such as promotion and management of projects as well as personnel training will also be taken into account.
- We are actively hiring young master graduates (or soon-to-be graduates) as well as female researchers. NICT supports master graduates to obtain doctor degrees while being employed.
- In principle, the date of employment will be April 1st, 2021.
- Relocation fees for new employees will be borne by NICT in accordance with its regulations.
All application documents must be submitted in electronic format through the online application page below.
- Please use either of the NICT templates in MS-Excel [72.7KB] or PDF [131KB] to create your draft. The final version must be submitted in PDF format with your photo attached. When creating your draft using the MS-Excel template, fill out the necessary information in the "入力フォーム" sheet and convert the 「2021訪問票(提出用)」sheet into PDF.
- Specify the position you are applying to in "応募職種."
- Applicants may apply for both permanent "Researcher" and "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" positions as long as the requirements are met. When applying for both, select the two in "応募職種の希望."
- Please refer to our Focused Areas of Research page for further details and keywords.
- Please include a summary.
- Please list journals and oral presentations separately.
- Please attach a few selected publications, etc. Please make sure the files are accessible.
How to Apply (online application)
- You will be asked to enter a valid email address in order to receive the link to proceed.
- Please give yourself enough time before the due date as the server may be busy and connectivity errors may occur as the deadline approaches.
- Documents received by post or email, and/or insufficient and incomplete documents will not be accepted.
1. Reception of application forms and document screening
After careful document screening, emails will be sent out (scheduled around mid-June) to those who we would like to call for an interview with the executives.
2. Interviews with the executives (headquarters)
Candidates will be called for an interview with the executives at the headquarters. This will be the final selection stage and is scheduled around early July. We will ask all interviewees to submit A) presentation slides (in MS-PowerPoint or PDF) and B) reference letters from two different recommenders (in electronic format and by post).
- Modifications or additions to the documents will not be accepted after submission. You may NOT bring in your own computer.
- Presentations must be less than 10 minutes and the file size must be kept to less than 10MB.
- Recommendations from NICT employees will not be accepted.
- The letters can be in English.
- The original letters do not need to be individually sealed when sent by post.
The travel expenses for the interviews will not be reimbursed.
(FYI) Recruitment history
FY2020: 12 candidates, FY2019: 9 employees, FY2018: 5 employees
The application documents will be handled with appropriate care and will only be used for recruitment purposes. The documents will not be returned to the applicants not hired and will be shredded immediately after the selection process.
Personnel Affairs Group, Personnel Affairs Office, General Affairs Department/
Strategic Planning Office, Strategic Planning Department,
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)