Permanent Researcher Positions
NICT recruits on the basis of diversity promotion. In particular, we actively promote the recruitment of female researchers and research engineers, in accordance with Article 8 of the Equal Employment Opportunity Law (Special Provisions Concerning Measures Concerning Female Workers).
The position not only requires high expertise in the relevant research area but must be responsible for actively conducting strategic R&D with a Mid-to-Long-Term perspective.
The position may also be involved in the overall planning of strategic research plans and in the operations management of the institute.
Overview and Requirements
Number of Positions
A small number of permanent "Researcher", permanent "Research Engineer" and "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" positions are expected to be filled.
- Koganei, Tokyo (Headquarters) (Radio Research Institute,
Network Research Institute,
Cybersecurity Research Institute,
Advanced ICT Research Institute,
Beyond 5G Research and Development,
Quantum ICT Collaboration Center,
Open Innovation Promotion
Headquarters and Social Innovation Unit)
- Yokosuka, Kanagawa (Wireless Networks Research Center)
- Soraku‑gun, Kyoto (Keihanna) (Universal Communication Research Institute)
- Kobe, Hyogo (Advanced ICT Research Institute)
- Suita, Osaka (Center for Information and Neural Networks)
- Sendai, Miyagi (Resilient ICT Research Center)
- Kashima, Ibaraki (Kashima Space Technology Center)
- Nomi, Ishikawa (Hokuriku StarBED Technology Center)
- Kunigami-gun, Okinawa (Okinawa Electromagnetic Technology Center)
(Reference) Location of NICT facilities
- The applicant in principle, must be able to start the position as of April 1st, 2024.
- Applicants are women (interviews will be conducted either in Japanese or English).
- The applicant must have a master's or doctor's degree as of April 1st, 2024.
Date of Employment
April 1st, 2024 (in principle)
- The position may involve planning, and other internal work that may not be directly related to research (research management and assistant work).
- Fixed-term secondments to governmental institutions, public interest corporations, and private companies may occur.
- Relocations to other Research Centers (domestic or abroad) may occur.
Focused Areas of Research
Learn more about our focused areas of research. Please note that they are subject to change due to the updates in the Mid-to-Long-Term Plan.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a permanent "Researcher" position; no employment term will be appointed.
(You will not be regarded as a government official and the retirement age is 60. The retirement age will be extended in the future, in compliance with the government's system of extending the mandatory retirement age.)
Basic Monthly Salary 304,000JPY (Starting salary for master graduates with researcher adjustment allowance and labor adjustments included)
Basic Monthly Salary 353,000JPY (Starting salary for doctor graduates with researcher adjustment allowance and labor adjustments included)
The following allowances will be permitted in addition to the above:
- Dependent allowance…… Permitted to employees with dependent family members; e.g., 10,000JPY/month per child, etc.
- Housing allowance…… A maximum of 28,000JPY/month is permitted to employees with rented accommodation.
- Commuting allowance…… A maximum of 55,000JPY/month for commuting costs will be permitted; e.g., the monthly commuter pass fee for public transportation.
- End-of-term allowance (Bonus)…… A bonus equivalent to about 4.4 months of salary will be permitted (based on the FY2022 data).
In addition, qualification allowances, special researcher allowances, and special service allowances may be permitted for those that apply.
Work Schedule, etc.
- Full-time, 5 days (average of 37.5 hours) a week.
A discretionary labor system is applied in principle.
- Annual Paid Leave
15 days in the first year (through April 1st to December 31st)
20 days in the second year and onwards (through January 1st to December 31st)
Available on an hourly basis
- Other special paid leave can be granted.
Telecommuting Program is available.
- Childcare and nursing care leave are also granted.
- Health insurance: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Mutual Aid Association Insurance
- Pension insurance: Employees' pension insurance
- Labor insurance: Unemployment insurance and industrial accident compensation insurance
- While having sufficient expertise in the relevant field of research will be the key factor in the selection process, the candidates' willingness to actively take part in management affairs such as promotion and management of projects as well as personnel training will also be taken into account.
- We are actively hiring young master graduates (or soon-to-be graduates) as well as female researchers.
NICT supports master graduates to obtain doctor degrees while being employed.
- Relocation fees for new employees will be borne by NICT in accordance with its regulations.
All application documents must be submitted in PDF format through the online application page below.
*Free format for 2 to 5
- Please use either of the NICT templates in MS-Excel [48KB] or PDF [119KB] to create your draft. The final version must be submitted in PDF format with your photo* attached (*image data acceptable).
When creating your draft using the MS-Excel template, fill out the necessary information in the "Input Sheet 入力フォーム" and convert the "For submission 提出用" sheet into PDF.
- Specify the position you are applying to in "Job title/応募職種".
- Applicants may apply for both permanent "Researcher" and "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" positions as long as the requirements are met. When applying for both, select the two in "Job title/応募職種".
- Please refer to our Focused Areas of Research page for further details and keywords.
*Please make sure the files are accessible.
How to Apply (online application)
- You will be asked to enter a valid email address in order to receive the link to proceed.
- Please give yourself enough time before the due date as the server may be busy and connectivity errors may occur as the deadline approaches.
- Documents received by post or email, and/or insufficient and incomplete documents will not be accepted.
1. Reception of application forms and document screening
After careful document screening, emails will be sent out (scheduled around early October) to those who we would like to call for an interview with the executives.
2. Interviews with the executives (headquarters)
Candidates will be called for an interview with the executives at the headquarters. This will be the final selection stage and is scheduled around November.
We will ask all interviewees to submit the following documents.
The travel expenses for the interviews will not be reimbursed.
- Modifications to the documents will not be accepted after submission.
You may NOT bring in your own computer and/or additional materials.
- Presentations must be less than 10 minutes and the file size must be kept to less than 10MB.
- The recommender sends it directly to NICT as an email attachment.
(Send to: the ML in charge of recruitment listed in the contact details below)
Original copy is not required.
- Recommendations from NICT employees will not be accepted.
- The 2 letters shall be addressed to the President of NICT and must be signed by each recommender.
- The letters can be in English.
3. Result notification
Results will be notified by the end of November.
(Reference) Recruitment history (Total number of gender)
FY2023: 12 employees, FY2022: 14 employees, FY2021: 18 employees
The application documents will be handled with appropriate care and will only be used for recruitment purposes.
The documents will not be returned to the applicants not hired and will be shredded immediately after the selection process.
Personnel Affairs Group, Personnel Affairs Office, General Affairs Department/
Strategic Planning Office, Strategic Planning Department,
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)