Macroscopic quantum physics project aims to unveil novel phenomena that are useful for advanced ICT through research on hybrid quantum systems composed of macroscopic quantum systems (superconducting artificial atoms) and microscopic quantum systems such as electron spins, nuclear spins, and photons interacting at the single quantum level.
As the interacting matter, we use macroscopic quantum objects such as superconducting circuits and ensembles of electron spins. Compared to natural atoms, these objects are called artificial atoms, because they have quantum properties like (natural) atoms, while they can be fabricated as designed using semiconductor micro-fabrication processes.
With artificial atoms, light - matter interaction can be made several orders of magnitude larger than that with natural atoms, which allows us to control the interaction at a level of a single quantum.
- The article "Hamiltonian of a flux qubit-LC oscillator circuit in the deep-strong- coupling regime" written by Dr. Fumiki Yoshihara, Sahel Ashhab, Tomoko Fuse, Motoaki Bamba, Kouichi Semba has been published in Scientific Reports volume 12, Article number: 6764 (2022) (April 26, 2022)
- The article "Speed limits for quantum gates with weakly anharmonic qubits" written by Dr. Sahel Ashhab, Fumiki Yoshihara, Tomoko Fuse, Naoki Yamamoto, Adrian Lupascu, Kouichi Semba has been published in Phys. Rev. A 105, 042614 (April 25, 2022)
- NICT Press Release (September 2021）"All-nitride Superconducting Qubit Made on a Silicon Substrate"
The article "Enhanced coherence of all-nitride superconducting qubit epitaxially grown on silicon substrate" has been published in Communications Materials volume 2, Article number: 98 (2021) (September 20, 2021)
- Dr. Sahel Ashhab joined our group (January 4, 2021)
- Our recent results are cited in the following review articles :
・P. Forn-Diaz et al., ‘Ultrastrong coupling regimes of light-matter interaction’, Rev. Mod. Phys. 91, 025005 (2019).
・Anton Frisk Kockum et al., ‘Ultrastrong coupling between light and matter’, Nature Review Physics 1, 19 (2019).
- The special lecture by Prof. Michel Devoret at Yale university will be held at NICT on May 8th starting at 13:30. We look forward to your participation.
- The article "Interaction between an Artificial Atom and an Electromagnetic Field - Beyond the Strong Coupling" written by Dr. Tomoko Fuse has published in Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, January 2018. (Japanese only, January 18, 2018)
- Dr. Sunmi Kim joined our group (January 4, 2018)
- Our CREST proposal of 2017 has been adopted and started in the research area of JST-CREST "Creation of an innovative quantum technology platform based on the advanced control of quantum state" (Research Supervisor : Prof. Yasuhiko Arakawa)
- Our recent study has published in NICT News No.465 August 2017. (The front cover photo is our research equipment) (September 6, 2017)
- Our team won the best prize at NICT 2017 best performance award for the success of the manuscript published in Nature physics. (only in Japanese, April 27, 2017)
- “Superconducting qubit-oscillator circuit beyond the ultrastrong-coupling regime” Nature Physics 13, 44–47 (2017) doi:10.1038/nphys3906 is added in "WORK" page (April 28, 2017)
- IWQD2017 was held in NII, Tokyo, March 6-8, 2017.
- Our recent paper was introduced as a hot topic‘Cavity quantum electrodynamics: Beyond strong’ at NEWS AND VIEWS in Nature Physics.(October 11, 2016)
- We launced a press release "Stable Molecular State of Photons and Artificial Atom Discovered"（October 11, 2016）
- The English website is prepared.(July 19, 2016)