NICT recruits on the basis of diversity promotion. In particular, we actively promote the recruitment of female researchers and research engineers, in accordance with Article 8 of the Equal Employment Opportunity Law (Special Provisions Concerning Measures Concerning Female Workers).
The position requires a highly motivated mind toward innovative research and the ability to actively and autonomously conduct research in the targeted field.
Upon employment, you will be assigned to an appropriate research field where you will set milestones and research targets to clear within the 5-year term. Start-up funds are allocated in the first and second year of employment and can be used for research.
During the 5-year term, you may be given the opportunity to be evaluated by the executives and apply for a permanent position.
Overview and Requirements
*Applications for 2024 have now closed.
Number of Positions
A small number of permanent "Researcher", permanent "Research Engineer" and "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" positions are expected to be filled.
- Koganei, Tokyo (Headquarters) (Radio Research Institute,
Network Research Institute,
Cybersecurity Research Institute,
Advanced ICT Research Institute,
Beyond 5G Research and Development,
Quantum ICT Collaboration Center,
Open Innovation Promotion
Headquarters and Social Innovation Unit)
- Yokosuka, Kanagawa (Wireless Networks Research Center)
- Soraku‑gun, Kyoto (Keihanna) (Universal Communication Research Institute)
- Kobe, Hyogo (Advanced ICT Research Institute)
- Suita, Osaka (Center for Information and Neural Networks)
- Sendai, Miyagi (Resilient ICT Research Center)
- Kashima, Ibaraki (Kashima Space Technology Center)
- Nomi, Ishikawa (Hokuriku StarBED Technology Center)
- Kunigami-gun, Okinawa (Okinawa Electromagnetic Technology Center)
(Reference) Location of NICT facilities
- The applicant in principle, must be able to start the position as of April 1st, 2024.
- Applicants are women (interviews will be conducted either in Japanese or English).
- The applicant shall be within less than about 10 years after obtaining the doctor's degree.
Date of Employment
April 1st, 2024 (in principle)
- The target research theme, etc. will be determined after close discussion with the division or group you will belong to.
- During the 5-year term, researchers who have achieved a certain level of success may be given the opportunity to be evaluated by the executives and apply for a permanent position.
Focused Areas of Research
Compensation and Benefits
This is a fixed-term "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" position of 5 years.
Basic Monthly Salary 471,000JPY (Starting salary for doctor graduates)
The following allowances will be permitted in addition to the above:
- Dependent allowance…… Permitted to employees with dependent family members; e.g., 10,000JPY/month per child, etc.
- Housing allowance…… A maximum of 28,000JPY/month is permitted to employees with rented accommodation.
- Commuting allowance…… A maximum of 55,000JPY/month for commuting costs will be permitted; e.g., the monthly commuter pass fee for public transportation.
In addition, overtime allowances, qualification allowances, special researcher allowances, and special service allowances, etc. may be permitted for those that apply.
Work Schedule, etc.
- Full-time, 5 days (average of 37.5 hours) a week.
A 'flextime' labor system is applied in principle.
- Annual Paid Leave
20 days (April 1st to March 31st)
Available on an hourly basis
- Other special paid leave can be granted.
Telecommuting Program is available.
- Childcare and nursing care leave are also granted.
- Health insurance: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Mutual Aid Association Insurance
- Pension insurance: Employees' pension insurance
- Labor insurance: Unemployment insurance and industrial accident compensation insurance
- We are actively hiring female researchers.
- We are actively hiring young graduates (or soon-to-be graduates) as well as female researchers.
- Relocation fees for new employees will be borne by NICT in accordance with its regulations.
*Free format for 2 to 5
- Please use either of the NICT templates in MS-Excel [48KB] or PDF [119KB] to create your draft. The final version must be submitted in PDF format with your photo* attached (*image data acceptable).
When creating your draft using the MS-Excel template, fill out the necessary information in the "Input Sheet 入力フォーム" and convert the "For submission 提出用" sheet into PDF.
- Specify the position you are applying to in "Job title/応募職種".
- Applicants may apply for both permanent "Researcher" and "Researcher (Tenure-Track)" positions as long as the requirements are met. When applying for both, select the two in "Job title/応募職種".
- Please refer to our Focused Areas of Research page for further details and keywords.
*Please make sure the files are accessible.
How to Apply (online application)
- You will be asked to enter a valid email address in order to receive the link to proceed.
- Please give yourself enough time before the due date as the server may be busy and connectivity errors may occur as the deadline approaches.
- Documents received by post or email, and/or insufficient and incomplete documents will not be accepted.
1. Reception of application forms and document screening
After careful document screening, emails will be sent out (scheduled around early October) to those who we would like to call for an interview with the executives.
2. Interviews with the executives (headquarters)
Candidates will be called for an interview with the executives at the headquarters. This will be the final selection stage and is scheduled around November.
We will ask all interviewees to submit the following documents.
The travel expenses for the interviews will not be reimbursed.
- Modifications to the documents will not be accepted after submission.
You may NOT bring in your own computer and/or additional materials.
- Presentations must be less than 10 minutes and the file size must be kept to less than 10MB.
- The recommender sends it directly to NICT as an email attachment.
(Send to: the ML in charge of recruitment listed in the contact details below)
Original copy is not required.
- Recommendations from NICT employees will not be accepted.
- The 2 letters shall be addressed to the President of NICT and must be signed by each recommender.
- The letters can be in English.
3. Result notification
Results will be notified by the end of November.
(Reference) Recruitment history (Total number of gender)
FY 2023: 7 employees, FY2022: 2 employees, FY2021: 4 employees
The application documents will be handled with appropriate care and will only be used for recruitment purposes.
The documents will not be returned to the applicants not hired and will be shredded immediately after the selection process.
Personnel Affairs Group, Personnel Affairs Office, General Affairs Department/
Strategic Planning Office, Strategic Planning Department,
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)