To bring the benefit of ICT to every social and geographic corner, to solve the common problems such as environmental problems, food supply, natural disasters and digital divides in the ASEAN region, all members of ASEAN IVO have the responsibility to accelerate Research and Development in the field of ICT. We consider that collaboration between institutions and between countries is one of the most important tools for this purpose, and ASEAN IVO is to launch new joint projects in spring 2016 to promote such R&D in the ICT field.
ASEAN IVO -- Call for Proposals 2016 is now open to all members of ASEAN IVO to make new projects in the ICT field starting from April, 2016. Please fill the Proposal Form and submit it to ASEAN IVO Secretariat.
1.ICT Solutions to the Challenges surrounding Urbanization
Keywords: urban mobility, smart cities, IOT, cloud computing, big data, digital security, infrastructure resilience, green ICT, etc.
2.Social Renovation in Rural Areas and/or Urban Areas
Keywords: agriculture, education, healthcare, disaster management, rural infrastructure, content delivery, low-cost networks, etc.
Proposals in any ICT-related topic are welcome if sufficient relevance to one or both of the above themes can be demonstrated.
2. Important dates
- Deadline for proposal submission: Feb. 15, 2016
- Evaluation period: March 2016
- Notice of results: March 2016
- The institution of the applicant should be an ASEAN IVO member, and the applicant should be the project leader.
- The members of the proposed project should be at minimum 2 institutions of any 2 countries in ASEAN region, or 3 institutions if NICT or another Japanese institution is included.
- An institution that is not a member of ASEAN IVO can join the project as a member.
Max. 40,000 US$/project/year
Around 5 projects will be selected in total.
The duration of the project can be from 6 months to 36 months. If the duration is over 24 months, the project would be reviewed once by the Steering Committee.
6. Review and selection
The Steering Committee of ASEAN IVO will evaluate each submission from the following viewpoints. In some cases, modifications may be recommended.
- Scientific and/or technological excellence (relevant to the topics addressed by the call)
- Soundness of concept, and quality of objectives
- Progress beyond the state-of-the-art
- Quality and effectiveness of the S/T methodology and associated work plan
- Quality and efficiency of the implementation and the management
- Appropriateness of the management structure and procedures
- Quality and relevant experience of the individual participants
- Quality of the consortium as a whole (including complementarity, balance)
- Appropriateness of the allocation and justification of the resources to be committed (budget, staff, equipment…)
- Potential impact through the development, dissemination and use of project results
- Contribution, at the ASEAN and/or international level, to the expected impacts listed in the work program under the relevant topic/activity
- Relevance of potential impact to national or ASEAN official guidelines, such as the ASEAN ICT Master Plan.
- Appropriateness of measures for the dissemination and/or exploitation of project results, and management of intellectual property.
- Potential to generate sustainable community practices, business models or industry-relevant products with future development.
- Selected proposals will be published on the ASEAN IVO website.
- Members of the selected projects, especially project leaders, are requested to cooperate with NICT for administrative procedures.
7. Intellectual Property
Among the project products achieved by the collaborative research and development, the intellectual property of any product that is independently created by a researcher or researchers of one institution shall be solely reserved by that institution.
Among the project products achieved by the collaborative research and development, the intellectual property of any product that is jointly created by researchers of more than one institution shall be jointly held by those institutions.
8. Open source and Data sharing
ASEAN IVO envisions an acceleration of innovation that can be achieved by open access to technologies and information. For this purpose, it is highly recommended that research data is made available between ASEAN IVO members, if it is appropriate and practicable, and researchers are encouraged to consider open source development, or make use of shared platforms.
The final report should be presented after the project has finished and the report will be published on the ASEAN IVO website.
- Procedure: Submit applications by filling in all necessary items in the proposal form and E-mailing by attachment in both MS Word and PDF formats.
Submit to: ASEAN IVO Secretariat
Dr. Hiroshi EMOTO
International Relations Office
International Affairs Department
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology
4-2-1, Nukui-Kita, Koganei