ICT Virtual Organization of ASEAN Institutes and NICT
Call for Proposals 2017
In this year’s Call, projects would ideally focus on demonstration or proof-of-concept experiments, or have a strong outlook to conduct a demonstration by the final year of the project duration. Proposals from all technical fields are welcome and they will be evaluated on the potential benefit of output, as the emphasis is on applications to address societal needs. Additionally, novel and innovative proposals from smaller collaborative groups are especially encouraged.
ASEAN IVO -- Call for Proposals 2017 is now open to all members of ASEAN IVO to make new projects in the ICT field starting from April, 2017. Please fill in the Proposal Form and submit it to the ASEAN IVO Secretariat.
- Cyber-Security and its applications
This topic does not only focus on technologies, but also applications and integrated systems for R&D.
Keywords: Secure IoT/SDN, Monitoring/Detection Systems, Cryptography
- Smart Society: ICT applications for community and environment
The focus of this topic is for ICT applications providing specific solutions to ASEAN regional problems. Proposals to this topic should be made under one of the following sub-topics:
- A) Smart Community
This sub-topic is for ICT applications to enrich people’s lives and make public services more efficient, or protect communities from specific hazards and mitigate the effects of climate change on the environment.
Keywords: E-Healthcare, Environment monitoring, Disaster mitigation, Green ICT, Resource savings, Power reduction, Secure and clean ICT environment, Natural Language Processing
- B) Smart City
This sub-topic addresses the specific demands of dense metropolitan areas, such as pollution and overcrowding, as well as the technologies required to address the ICT demands. Technology-based projects should consider what is already available or under development by Google and other multinational technology companies, and should seek to provide innovative solutions to ASEAN-specific needs in ways that these companies cannot.
Keywords for technology development: IoT, Mobility, SDN, 4G/5G, WSN, Big data
Keywords for application development: Metropolitan area, Traffic, Structural integrity monitoring, Civil construction, Entertainment, Smart homes
- C) Smart Village
Projects under this sub-topic will address the special needs of rural communities caused by the “digital divide”. To enable ICT to penetrate rural communities and provide services for all, solutions are sought to overcome the current regional lack of access to electricity and other basic needs.
Keywords: Smart Grid, Telemedicine, Agriculture, Education
- A) Smart Community
Proposals in any ICT-related topic are welcome if sufficient relevance to one or more of the above themes can be demonstrated.
2. Important dates
- Deadline for proposal submission: February 13, 2017
- Evaluation period: March 2017
- Notice of results: April 2017
- The institution of the applicant should be an ASEAN IVO member, and the applicant should be the project leader. Non-members can submit proposals for new projects as project leaders, but they must apply for membership and obtain approval before project selection.
- The members of the proposed project should be at minimum 2 institutions of any 2 countries in ASEAN region, or 3 institutions if NICT or another Japanese institution is included.
- Institutions that are not members of ASEAN IVO can be members of the project team.
- The leaders of ongoing projects cannot make new applications.
Max. 40,000 US$/project/year
Around 5 projects will be selected in total.
The duration of the project can be from 6 months to 36 months. If the duration is over 24 months, the project would be reviewed once by the Steering Committee.
6. Review and selection
- The Steering Committee of ASEAN IVO will evaluate each submission from the following viewpoints. In some cases, modifications may be recommended.
- Scientific and/or technological excellence (relevant to the topics addressed by the call)
- Soundness of concept, and quality of objectives
- Progress beyond the state-of-the-art
- Quality and effectiveness of the S/T methodology and associated work plan
- Quality and efficiency of the implementation and the management
- Appropriateness of the management structure and procedures
- Quality and relevant experience of the individual participants
- Quality of the consortium as a whole (including complementarity, balance)
- Appropriateness of the allocation and justification of the resources to be committed (budget, staff, equipment…)
- Potential impact through the development, dissemination and use of project results
- Contribution, at the ASEAN and/or international level, to the expected impacts listed in the work program under the relevant topic/activity
- Relevance of potential impact to national or ASEAN official guidelines, such as the ASEAN ICT Master Plan.
- Appropriateness of measures for the dissemination and/or exploitation of project results, and management of intellectual property.
- Potential to generate sustainable community practices, business models or industry-relevant products with future development.
- Benefits to the development of collaboration in the applicant country and ASEAN region
- Balance, equality and complementarity between organizations and between countries within the project team
- Contribution to the technical proficiency of research in developing ASEAN countries
- realization of new collaborations as well as reinforcing continuing partnerships
- Selected proposals will be published on the ASEAN IVO website.
- Members of the selected projects, especially project leaders, are requested to cooperate with NICT for administrative procedures.
7. Other financial support
In addition to the support of ASEAN IVO, other financial support for your project is welcome. For example, this can be a matching fund from the institution of the applicant or a public fund or other source.
8. Intellectual Property
Among the project products achieved by the collaborative research and development, the intellectual property of any product that is independently created by a researcher or researchers of one institution shall be solely reserved by that institution.
Among the project products achieved by the collaborative research and development, the intellectual property of any product that is jointly created by researchers of more than one institution shall be jointly held by those institutions.
9. Open source and Data sharing
ASEAN IVO envisions an acceleration of innovation that can be achieved by open access to technologies and information. For this purpose, it is highly recommended that research data is made available between ASEAN IVO members, if it is appropriate and practicable, and researchers are encouraged to consider open source development, or make use of shared platforms.
The following reports will be required:
- - Progress reports once a year
- - A final report at the end of the project duration.
Information about the status of your project based on these progress reports will be published on the ASEAN IVO website. Additionally, you are encouraged to publish a website for your project where possible.
- Procedure: Submit applications by filling in all necessary items in the proposal form and E-mailing by attachment in both MS Word and PDF formats.
- Submit to: ASEAN IVO Secretariat
Dr. Hiroshi EMOTO
International Research Advancement Office
Global Alliance Department
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology
4-2-1, Nukui-Kita, Koganei