The Articles of Association
“ICT Virtual Organization of ASEAN Institutes and NICT”
Article 1. Name
(1) The name of the Association shall be “ICT Virtual Organization of ASEAN Institutes and NICT”, abbreviated to “ASEAN IVO”, hereinafter referred to as “the Association”.
(2) The geographic area covered by the Association shall comprise all ASEAN countries and Japan.
Article 2. Mission
The mission of ASEAN IVO is to seek and identify strategic ICT research and service areas in the ASEAN region and Japan, and promote collaborative projects in them.
Through these collaborative projects involving ICT, ASEAN IVO aims to strengthen partnerships of international collaboration and cooperation throughout the ASEAN region and Japan, with the view to address common regional needs such as zero hunger, good health and well-being, quality education, clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, decent working conditions and economic growth, industry, innovation and infrastructure, sustainable cities and communities, disaster prevention, climate action, and more.
Article 3. Scope of Activities
(1) Dialogue on the priorities for ICT research fields, addressing the overarching needs of the ASEAN region and Japan.
(2) Forming international collaborative projects such as research, field trials, etc.
(3) Researcher exchange, etc.
(4) Hosting academic workshops, exhibitions, etc.
(5) Other related activities.
Article 4. Membership
(1) Organizations located in the ASEAN region and Japan can apply to become a member of ASEAN IVO. ASEAN IVO members are hereinafter referred to as “Member”.
(2) Only organizations can apply for membership; individuals cannot be Members.
(3) Organizations from non-ICT sectors are welcome to apply for membership for the purpose of ICT applications for their field.
(4) Private companies are welcome to apply for membership for the purpose of providing support such as matching funds for ASEAN IVO joint projects.
(5) There is an application and authorization procedure to obtain membership.
(6) Members can send requests to the Association through the Steering Committee Member(s) (as defined in Article 5.2) of their country.
(7) Members can give nominations for Steering Committee Member(s) of their country.
(8) Member’s termination: a Member can terminate their membership by submitting a membership withdrawal form to the Steering Committee, at least three months prior to the intended date of termination.
"Organization" includes any university, college, institute, private company or other such entity, that is engaging in research and development in the ICT field.
Article 5. The Steering Committee
(1) A Steering Committee is established from among the Members. Each country should have one or two representatives. As far as possible each country should have one representative from a university and one from an institute.
(2) The Steering Committee carry out activities including the following:
- Considering proposals for joint or collaborative R&D projects or other activities within ASEAN IVO.
- Reviewing ongoing projects and providing feedback.
- Promoting ASEAN IVO with relevant ministries and organizations and identifying sources of support for ASEAN IVO activities.
- Reviewing and deciding overall ASEAN IVO policy and administrative matters.
- Considering and approving or rejecting applications for new Members.
- Considering and approving Member withdrawal.
- Approving the Chair and the Co-Chair of the Steering Committee.
(3) The Steering Committee carry out their activities by means of e-mail communications, teleconferences and face-to-face meetings.
5.1. The Chair of the Steering Committee
(1) The Chair of the Steering Committee is recommended and approved by the Steering Committee.
(2) The Co-chair of the Steering Committee is designated by the Chair.
(3) The Chair and Co-Chair also have the right to vote if needed.
5.2. Steering Committee membership
(1) A member of the Steering Committee, hereinafter referred to as “SC Member”, is subject to the following membership criteria.
- The SC Member should be a professional in ICT R&D.
- The SC Member should be a professional in policy matters of their country.
- The SC Member must have sufficient knowledge in ICT R&D of the ASEAN Region and Japan.
- The SC Member should be a representative of their organization with decision-making relevant to the ASEAN IVO activities.
- The SC Member should be able to connect communication to government or public organizations in supporting ICT R&D.
- The SC Member can be replaced if necessary.
5.3. Attendance of the Steering Committee Meeting
A Steering Committee meeting requires the attendance of more than half of the total SC Members (including delegated representatives). SC Members must give written notification in advance, by e-mail or other means, indicating whether or not they will attend the meeting.
5.4. Delegation of Power
When an SC Member is unable to attend the Steering Committee Meeting, there are alternative ways for representing or voting for a Steering Committee decision as follows.
Alternative 1: to delegate his/her right to vote to his/her proxy from the SC Member he/she represents.
Alternative 2: to participate in the Steering Committee decision by other means agreed upon by the Steering Committee members.
Article 6. Organs of the Association
(1) Steering Committee
Constitution and functions of the Steering Committee are as detailed in Article 5.
1) At the time of establishment, the Secretariat is the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT), Japan, and supports every activity of the Steering Committee and ASEAN IVO.
2) The role of Secretariat can be transferred to any organization, based on approval by the Steering Committee.
Article 7. Fields and Areas of Collaboration
(1) Fields of Collaboration will be such themes which are mutually beneficial and challenging issues among Members, which are the basis for economic and social developments in the region, as well as ICT solutions to common issues within the region.
(2) Specific collaborative research areas will be determined by the Steering Committee.
(3) Schedules of calls for proposals for collaborative projects, hereinafter referred to as “ASEAN IVO Project(s)”, should be approved by the Steering Committee.
(4) Regulations for ASEAN IVO Projects will be detailed in Appendix A.
Article 8. Financial Resources
(1) Administration of the Association (ASEAN IVO Administration)
Voluntary contribution for functions of ASEAN IVO from Members and SC Members, including personnel cost, rental of the office, office operation cost, expenses for travel and accommodation, is welcome.
(2) Administration of ASEAN IVO Projects
Financial support for ASEAN IVO Projects is detailed in Appendix A.
(3) Financial Support from others
Financial support from Members is welcome. It is highly encouraged that Members obtain or apply for funding from other organizations to support the activities of ASEAN IVO including project promotion.
Article 9. Amendment of the Articles of Association
Any differences or disputes concerning the interpretation or amendment of these Articles of Association shall be settled by decision of the Steering Committee on a consensus basis.
Article 10. Termination of the Association
The Association may be terminated at any time by a resolution adopted by the Steering Committee on a consensus basis.
Article 11. Urgent Matters
(1) Urgent matters regarding an activity can be transferred immediately by a Member (or Members) to the Steering Committee Member(s) representative of the relevant country.
(2) Urgent matters will be discussed competently and decided among Members of the Steering Committee by e-mail or other means. The decision will be fed back to the Member (or Members) immediately.
Framework and Administration for ASEAN IVO Projects
<ASEAN IVO Projects>
- ASEAN IVO Projects are a collaborative work between ASEAN countries and Japan for developing solutions to common regional needs such as zero hunger, good health and well-being, quality education, clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, industry, innovation and infrastructure, sustainable cities and communities, disaster prevention, climate action, and more.
- Specific collaborative research areas and topics of the ASEAN IVO Projects will be discussed and determined by the Steering Committee.
- Number, duration and budget of the ASEAN IVO Projects will be determined by the Steering Committee.
- ASEAN IVO Forum will provide a place for all ASEAN IVO members to exchange ideas, discuss the topics and coordinate projects. Any and all members of ASEAN IVO can apply for the ASEAN IVO Forum.
<Project proposal applications>
- The institution of the applicant making an ASEAN IVO Project proposal should be an ASEAN IVO member, and the applicant should be the project leader. Non-members of ASEAN IVO can submit proposals for new projects as project leaders, but they must apply for membership and obtain approval before the deadline for proposal submission.
- The members of the proposed project must be at minimum 2 institutions total, and from at least 2 different countries in the ASEAN region.
- Multiple institutions from one country as well as NICT and other Japanese institutions are also welcome to be members of a project team, but will not count towards this minimum requirement.
- Institutions that are not members of ASEAN IVO can also be members of the project team.
- The leaders of ongoing projects cannot make new applications.
- Proposals for ASEAN IVO Projects will be evaluated by the Steering Committee.
- 11. ASEAN IVO Projects will be selected by the Steering Committee.
- Budget for ASEAN IVO Projects is provided partly by NICT and other agreed organizations.
- The budget provided by NICT can only support the institutions of project members which are based in the ASEAN region.
- The budget provided by NICT cannot support personnel expenses of the project.
- All payments supported by NICT must comply with NICT regulations.
- Other financial support for ASEAN IVO projects is welcome, such as matching funds from the institution of the applicant or a public fund or other source.
- If one member of ASEAN IVO is interested in one ongoing project and applying to become an additional project member, the application will be evaluated by the Steering Committee and the result (approval, approval under conditions or rejection) will be fed back.
- If one member of an ASEAN IVO Project withdraws from the project, the application will be evaluated by the Steering Committee and the result (approval, change of project support conditions or project termination) will be fed back.
- If one ASEAN IVO Project is planning to extend the duration of the project due to unforeseen circumstances, the application will be evaluated by the Steering Committee and the result (approval, approval under conditions or rejection) will be fed back.
<Project Review and Reports>
- There are interim project reviews during the project period, if the duration of the project is longer than 12 months (1 year).
- The following reports will be required:
1) Progress reports once a year.
2) A final report at the end of the project duration.
- Among the project products achieved by the collaborative research and development, the intellectual property of any product that is independently created by a researcher or researchers of one institution shall be solely reserved by that institution.
- Among the project products achieved by the collaborative research and development, the intellectual property of any product that is jointly created by researchers of more than one institution shall be jointly held by those institutions.
<Open source and Data sharing>
- ASEAN IVO envisions an acceleration of innovation that can be achieved by open access to technologies and information. For this purpose, it is highly recommended that research data is made available between ASEAN IVO members, if it is appropriate and practicable, and researchers are encouraged to consider open source development, or make use of shared platforms.
<Administration of ASEAN IVO Projects>
- ASEAN IVO Projects will be promoted and administrated by the Secretariat of ASEAN IVO.
- The current Secretariat is the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT), Japan, and they support every activity of the Steering Committee and ASEAN IVO.
- The role of Secretariat can be transferred to any organization, based on approval by the Steering Committee.